6 February 2012

Steam Rice Cake (Putong Putih)

I had some left over rice flour and coconut cream from the Chinese New Year baking. I did a little google and found this steam rice cake also known as Putong Putih, which is originated from Philippines. The recipe looked easy to me and i decided to give a try on it. The recipe i found required the following ingredients:
  • 1 cup of rice flour
  • 1 cup of coconut cream
  • 1 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of baking powder

I decided to modify the recipe as i felt that the above recipe may produced a very salty rice cake. Note it required 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of coconut cream. Surprisingly my modified recipe turns out yummy and my 3 years old little girl happily finished one rice cake by herself. I found the taste to be very similar to the Malay Tutucake found locally and decided to make some gula melaka syrup to go with it. End result? Superb! My helper loved it so much and requested me to do a new batch. 


Below is my modified version of recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of rice flour
  • 1/2 cup of coconut cream
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of baking powder

Method
  • Sieve the rice flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl
  • Put the remaining ingredients into the mixing bowl and hand whisk till the sugar dissolve and there are no more lumps in the batter
  • Line the muffin tray or steaming cups with some paper cups and pour in the batter till 1/2 filled. 
  • Steam over high heat for 30 minutes

You may prepare some gula melaka to go with the steam rice cake. Trust me, it tastes heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment